Sunday 15 November 2015

RUID志木料理 - Cooking in Shiki #2

It's been far too long since I updated this blog. So much has happened since I last wrote here. So, here's a yakisoba recipe to make up for it.
image by NoRecipes.com.
Yakisoba is one of Japan's most well-known foods; it's grilled soba noodles with various meat and vegetables. Since I don't have a grill in Shiki, this is a fried soba recipe with a few changes to the traditional recipe (i was too lazy to go and buy the correct ingredients gomen)

So here's what you need for my half-traditional, half-whatever I had in the fridge recipe:
  • 100g dried soba noodles
  • Canola oil
  • Chicken/beef/pork (I used chicken)
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • Half a tin of sweetcorn
  • Sriracha sauce (real yakisoba uses sōsu but I didn't have any so I used this hot chilli sauce instead. A good alternative to sōsu is worcestershire sauce with some ketchup, apparently.)
First you need to boil the soba, so boil it in a pot of water. As soon as the noodles are fully cooked, drain them and transfer them to a wok and start frying them in canola oil. Chop up your veg and meat to whatever size you like (I like them chunky but traditional yakisoba tends to have very thinly sliced toppings) and add them. If you're using sōsu or some other more traditional sauce, you can add it as you fry the noodles, but because sriracha is rather hot, I drizzled it on after I fried them. Once your meat is cooked through and the noodles start to brown, serve them. You can add nori or katsuobushi as garnish if you're making more of a traditional yakisoba.

here is how mine looked in the end. it tastes good cold as well as hot so it's a handy dish to make lunches with. as you can see I drizzled the sauce rather than cooking with it so it would actually have a flavour other than hot~


I will try to get back into blogging regularly so until then please cook yakisoba and tell me what you put in it so I can try it too.

xoxo Benji

No comments:

Post a Comment